Time-sharing and parental responsibility, colloquially (bot not legally) referred to as custody and visitation, are the terms that define the allocation of time a child spends with each parent. A parenting plan is submitted in court to insure proper care for a child, as well as allocating responsibilities for each parent. 


Shared Parental Responsibility

If both spouses have the ability to equally provide welfare for their child, such as residence, education, and medical care, parents are granted shared responsibility. In these cases, parenting plans are created in order to outline how each parent will care for the child after the dissolution. Specifically, shared parental responsibility means that both parents make decisions regarding their child, such as education, medical, religious, extra curricular activities, etc.

Sole Parental Responsibility 

In some cases that have evidence of abuse, neglect, or abandonment, sole parent responsibility is awarded to one spouse that can provide welfare to the child. In these cases, all decisions regarding a child’s well-being are made solely by one parent.

Long Distance Parenting Plans

If one parent does not live locally to the primary residence of the child, long distance parenting plans are required in order to specify timesharing and other allocations for the non-custodial parent or guardian.

Relocation of a Minor Child

Changing the primary residence of a minor child that is 50 miles away from their primary residence is considered Relocation of a Minor Child. The state of Florida has strict requirements on changing of the residence address for minor children.

Temporary Relief

If one spouse cannot provide adequate alimony or child support during the dissolution process, temporary relief may be given after mediation to provide settlements regarding timesharing and support before the dissolution is finalized.

Guardian Ad Litem

To protect the well-being and interest of a minor in some dissolution or paternity cases, a Guardian Ad Litem may be appointed by the court during the dissolution or paternity matter. Guardian Ad Litem are only provided through a court order, and generally are a lawyer or a court appointed volunteer.

Temporary Custody of Minor Child
by Extended Family Members

For cases that may require a third party to take temporary custody of a child, temporary guardianship can be awarded to immediate or extended family members. If this does occur, parents are giving full rights to persons that will properly care of their child and make all decisions regarding the child’s well-being.



If you have any questions related to custody and timesharing Tampa FL parents may dispute or require legal assistance in other areas of Family Law you may always contact Damien McKinney of The McKinney Law Group to discuss your case further. He can be reached by phone at 813-428-3400 or by e-mail at contact@themckinneylawgroup.com.

Child Custody Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

What Is A Social Investigation In A Custody Case?

What Is Sole Parental Responsibility?

Blog posts related to custody and timesharing:

Tampa Family Law
August 21, 2017 The McKinney Law Group

The Role of a Parenting Coordinator

A parenting coordinator can be an excellent resource during a family law matter.
Tampa Divorce Lawyer
August 21, 2017 The McKinney Law Group

Minor Child Tax Exemption

Who claims the children on their taxes?
Tampa Custody Attorney
August 14, 2017 The McKinney Law Group

What is Sole Parental Responsibility?

The presumption in Florida is to award shared parental responsibility.
child support lawyer
August 14, 2017 The McKinney Law Group

What Is Considered Income for Child Support Purposes?

What income is used for child support guidelines?