If you are going through a child custody battle, you may want to speak to a child custody lawyer Tampa FL trusts, like Damien McKinney. He has 10 years of experience in family law and is ready to assist you. Child custody cases are often very complex and it’s important to know that a trustworthy lawyer is on your side.
How Child Custody Is Determined
The child’s best interest is usually taken into consideration during child custody cases. To determine a child’s best interest, a judge may consider the following factors:
- Each parent’s relationship with the child
- Each parent’s ability to support the child
- The child’s age
- Each parent’s financial resources
- Common Mistakes in Child Custody Cases
During a child custody case, you have to be careful about what you say and do. Your actions can have an impact on the judge’s custody decision. Here are common mistakes a child custody lawyer in Tampa FL has seen parents make in custody cases:
- Taking your child on vacation without other parent’s consent: A child custody lawyer Tampa FL respects may have witnessed parents take their children on vacation before consulting with their ex-spouse. If you take your child on a trip without letting your ex-spouse know, it might be considered kidnapping. To avoid additional complications in your case, be sure to get your ex-spouse’s permission if he/she currently has custody before taking your child out of town.
- Speaking negatively about your spouse in front of your child: Even if you are angry with your ex-spouse, you should refrain from speaking poorly about him or her in front of your child. If you display hostility toward your ex-spouse, the judge may decide that you are less concerned with the wellbeing of your child and more concerned with “punishing” your ex-spouse by taking away custody/visiting rights.
- Disobeying court orders: It is crucial to follow court orders during a child custody battle. A child custody lawyer Tampa FL relies on may have seen parents disobey a judge’s orders and subsequently be denied custody.
- Arriving late to visits: When it is time to visit with your child, remember to be on time. If you know you are going to be late, at least notify your ex-spouse ahead of time. This shows the court that you are responsible and that you value time with your child.
- Trying to keep ex-spouse away from your child: It is not a wise idea to try to keep your ex-spouse away from your child. Instead, it’s often a good idea to show the judge your willingness to share time with your child. However, if you suspect that there is any form of violence or negligence going on with your ex-spouse, you should have your child custody lawyer Tampa FL counts on file help you file a motion in court.
The Benefits of Hiring a Child Custody Lawyer
Child custody battles can be stressful, so working with a child custody lawyer Tampa FL residents trust may be beneficial. He or she can get your case moving in the right direction. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages of hiring a child custody lawyer.
- Knowledge of the Legal System: Child custody laws are complicated, so it may help to have someone with extensive knowledge of the legal system on your side. A reputable child custody lawyer in Tampa FL has likely dealt with cases similar to yours in the past and knows what it takes to get a favorable outcome. He or she can give you valuable advice and prevent you from making mistakes.
- Assistance with the Paperwork: Child custody cases involves a lot of paperwork. If you don’t understand certain terminology in the documents, you might make an error that could delay your case or cause it to be denied. If you have a child custody lawyer Tampa FL locals respect by your side, he or she can help you fill out the paperwork accurately.
- Getting Child Support Payments: If you do not work with a child custody lawyer Tampa FL residents rely on, your spouse’s lawyer may take advantage of you and offer you lower child support payments. A lawyer can ensure that your spouse is accountable for paying his or her fair share of your child’s expenses.
- Reduced Stress: Going through a divorce and a child custody battle is stressful enough. If you have to do everything yourself, it may only get more overwhelming. If you hire a Tampa child custody lawyer, he or she can take care of the legwork so that you can sit down and relax.
- Faster Process: It is normal to want to get a child custody battle over with as quickly as possible. That is why it can be important to have an experienced lawyer on your side. He or she has probably handled similar cases and thus knows how to settle child custody cases as quickly as possible.
Questions to Ask a Child Custody Lawyer
Working with the right child custody lawyer Tampa Fl locals depend on can have a positive impact on your case. That is why it is critical to ask the right questions during the initial consultation, including:
- How many child custody cases have you handled? It is in your best interest to work with a lawyer who has many child custody cases under his or her belt. A lawyer who just graduated from law school might not have the experience you need.
- What is your current caseload? It may not be a good idea to work with a child custody lawyer Tampa FL offers who has a heavy caseload. He or she might not be able to give your case the attention it needs.
- What are your fees? Before you hire a child custody lawyer, find out about his or her fees. Does this lawyer charge a flat fee or by the hour?
Do not wait to hire a Tampa child custody lawyer for your child custody case. If you are searching for a child custody lawyer Tampa FL offers, contact The McKinney Law Group at 813-906-0048.
Child Custody Legal Resources: