Can My Child’s Last Name be Changed?

While name changes during dissolution cases can be easily petitioned, name changes for minors require more cause. 

Generally speaking, a parent cannot simply change their child’s last name without legal authorization.  However, a party can challenge the court to Petition for the minor child’s name to change. That said, the court may apply a “best interests” standard to determine whether or not the name change would be in the child’s best interests. For example, the court may look to whether the name change will cause embarrassment or discomfort due to the name change, and may also look to the age of the child as well. 

If you may be considering filing for divorce or require legal assistance in other areas of Family Law you may always contact Teresa Prescott of The McKinney Law Group to discuss your case further. She can be reached by phone at 813-428-3400 or by e-mail at

Teresa Prescott

The McKinney Law Group, 1105 West Swann Avenue, Historic Hyde Park North, FL, 33606

Teresa Prescott has been with The McKinney Law Group since early 2015. She began her work with the firm as a Law Clerk and in April of 2016 accepted a position as an Associate Attorney following her completion of the Florida Bar examination.