Sometimes referred to as spousal support, Alimony provides financial support to one party after a dissolution of marriage. The duration of alimony varies depending on the situation and can range from the financial stand of the dependent spouse to the salary of the supportive spouse. The spouse who earns more is required by the court to assist the other spouse. 


Alimony & Child Support Unconnected with Divorce

While Alimony is generally determined during dissolution of marriage cases, it is possible to file for alimony outside of dissolution of marriage, if one spouse is not financially contributing to the support of the other spouse and/or their child(ren). This method is only used when Divorce has not been filed. 

Alimony Prior tO Official Dissolution of Marriage

On the other hand, if a divorce has been filed and support is needed prior to a final hearing on the Dissolution of Marriage then a Motion for Temporary Relief (also called a Motion for Temporary Support and Child Support) would be filed with the court. 

Modification of Alimony

Modifications to alimony may be filed if there is substantial change to the circumstances for either party. On one side it may be a matter of the paying spouse’s ability to make the necessary alimony payments, while on the other side the necessities of the spouse that is receiving the alimony payments is also subject to change either through an increase or decrease in expenses the alimony is allocated to assist with.


If you have any questions related to family law or require legal assistance in other areas of Family Law you may always contact Damien McKinney of The McKinney Law Group to discuss your case further. He can be reached by phone at 813-428-3400 or by e-mail at contact@themckinneylawgroup.com.