If you are seeking alimony, an alimony lawyer Tampa FL trusts can help you to get what you deserve after a divorce. Also known as spousal support, or spousal maintenance, it involves payments being made by one spouse and given to the ex-spouse. The spouse who is making the payments is seen as being the financial bearer during the duration of the marriage. In Tampa alimony awards can be a confusing matter which is why you should contact The McKinney Law Group to learn more.
Alimony is one of the first things people consider when getting a divorce, as an alimony lawyer Tampa FL relies on can explain. The matter can complex and lead to immense disagreements, arguments, stress, and anger. Usually, it can be a good idea to have a lawyer helping you get through this situation as quickly as possible. When it comes to alimony Tampa FL residents may give or receive financial support until the spouse getting the payments is able to support their self.
Alimony can be granted to help the spouse:
- Bridge the financial gap between marriage and separation
- Be intended to help the ex-spouse get to a position where he or she can take care of themselves
With an alimony lawyer Tampa FL divorcees rely on, separating spouses may receive the monetary compensation in a lump sum, on a monthly basis, or be a combination of the two. Alimony in Tampa FL is meant to help level the playing field and is not punitive in nature. The length of a marriage can be an important factor and can be classified as a short term, moderate, or long term marriage.
- Short term marriage – Less than 7 years
- Moderate term marriage – More than 7 years, and less than 17 years
- Long term marriage – More than 17 years
In general, the longer you have been married, the more an alimony lawyer Tampa FL divorcees trust can seek.
What factors may a Florida judge take into consideration when determining the amount of alimony?
Every state has laid out alimony guidelines which are meant to assist judges in their decision regarding an alimony award. Judges have a good amount of discretion to use so they may take a number of factors into consideration before making a ruling. Factors include:
- The financial resources of both spouses
- Both spouses earning potential, education, skills, and employability
- The resources a spouse would need to undergo training for employment
- The standard of living enjoyed by the spouses during their marriage
- Each spouses contribution to the marriage
- Tax consequences of the award
- Whether or not children are involved
- Whether or not adultery was committed
- The length of the marriage
Other factors may be examined to best determine who can receive alimony, for how much, and for how long. In regards to alimony Tampa FL laws can be challenging to navigate without a lawyer. If you are seeking, or trying to avoid alimony, an alimony lawyer Tampa FL can count on from The McKinney Law Group can review your case and let you know what your options may be; call 813-906-0048.