A Custody and Time Sharing Tampa FL Lawyer Asks, “Is That Child Custody Battle Really Going to be Worth the Fight?”
When a couple decides to divorce, a Tampa FL custody and time sharing lawyer understands that there are often many battles and disagreements over how the property and assets they own will be divided. But the area that typically causes the most contention between a soon to be ex-husband and ex-wife is the custody of the children.
At The McKinney Law Group, our attorneys have extensive experience negotiating child custody cases and modifications. We understand how stressful and frightening this time can be. You have gone from having your child with you every day of his or her life to now facing the possibility of only having your child with you half the week or even less. Our legal team will work diligently to get you and your family the best possible custody outcome based on the circumstances of your situation.
The Reality of Child Custody Cases
The emotional turmoil that children endure while their parents wage for custody can affect their school work, as well as their social interactions with peers. And these battles can leave deep scars. Your custody and time sharing lawyer may suggest that you ask yourself the following questions before entering the custody battling arena:
- Custody fights can take months, if not years, before they come to a conclusion. Are you prepared for your children to suffer through months of stress and anxiety, not knowing where they will live, whether or not they will be split from their siblings, and how they will maintain a relationship with the parent they will not be living with?
- Are you prepared to watch as your child is forced to sit through interviews with attorneys, counselors, guardian ad litems, judges and other court personnel, where they may feel scared and intimidated? They also may feel as if they are being forced to choose their loyalty over one parent
- It has been proven in many studies that children who witness high conflict between their parents can suffer from serious psychological issues. Are you willing to take that risk with your child’s mental health?
- Do you want a stranger making the ultimate decisions regarding who will be allowed to make the decisions for your children and how often you will be allowed to see them?
- Would it not be healthier for everyone to try to negotiate a custody agreement with your ex-spouse?
Contact a Custody and Time Sharing Lawyer for More Information
These guidelines are not for every child custody case. Although courts today are favoring more shared custody arrangements, as are many parents, there are still numerous situations where shared custody, or having the other parent awarded custody, would not be in the best interest of the child. Each situation is different and, in the end, the court’s goal is to make a custody decision that is in the best interest of the child.
Whatever your situation may be, if you are considering a divorce and would like to discuss your situation with a qualified custody and time sharing Tampa FL lawyer from The McKinney Law Group, call today to set up an appointment for a free case evaluation.
Experienced Custody and Time Sharing Tampa FL Lawyers
When you are getting a divorce and considering custody and time sharing Tampa FL law firms such as The McKinney Law Group can help make the process as smooth as possible. We understand that these agreements can be emotionally draining, yet they are essential to the wellbeing of the children involved. With years of experience and a profound knowledge of family law, very often we are able to get the results parents are looking for and in a timely manner.
Lawyers at our firm understand the complex attention that a child may need; from academic to emotional, spiritual, and overall development. We also realize that these needs can be difficult to meet, especially when two parents are no longer together. With this in mind, we consider the restrictions of custody and time sharing in Tampa FL. This may include the working schedules of each parent, vacation schedules, transitioning from one parent’s home to the other or to school, and so forth. Using this information, we can help to create a structured agreement that is fair to both parents as well as to the children.
Understanding Tampa Custody and Time Sharing
In Florida, “custody” and “visitation” has been removed from the legal statutes. Now the legal term is “time sharing” and the intention is to lessen the harshness of the situation. It is also meant to encourage parents to mutually adopt a schedule that suits their lifestyles but also encourages quality time with the children.
With regards to custody and time sharing Tampa FL parents are expected to be actively involved in making decisions that will impact their child’s life. This can include schooling, extracurricular activities, spirituality, medical care, moral development, and so forth. As lawyers, we place an emphasis on parental involvement, but only as appropriate and on a case by case basis. We strongly believe the time sharing schedule should be clearly defined and integrated without negatively impacting the children. If this process proves to be especially difficult, we may encourage mediation to ease acrimony between the parents.
Determining Child Custody in Florida
In Florida, parents usually have equal rights and responsibilities. The court’s primary focus is to ensure the child’s best interests are being considered. To determine this, the court may want to see that each parent can do the following:
- Continue a healthy relationship with the child while adhering to the timesharing schedule
- Communicate any major schedule changes to the lawyer and/or court
- Make decisions based upon the child’s needs rather than the parents’
- Implement and maintain a healthy routine for the child’s sake
- Participate in the child’s school and after-school activities
- Maintain a healthy, abuse-free living environment
- Maintain healthy communications with the co-parent
- Meet all of the child’s mental, emotional, and physical needs
When it comes to custody and time sharing Tampa FL courts may also dictate additional guidelines. By having a family lawyer on your side, you can gain an understanding of what to expect during these proceedings.
If you would like to know how our custody and time sharing Tampa FL firm can help you, please call The McKinney Law Group for a free case evaluation.